Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vocabulary List #6


Beatitude- a state of supreme happiness
The little girl was beatitude when she saw all the candy in the store.
bete noire- a detested person

bode- indicated by signs
Knowing people get things done fast bodes well with me that I will trust them.
dank- unpleasantly cool and humid
When it is dank my hair gets untamable
ecumenical- of worldwide scope or applicability
The ecumenical businessman knew a lot about world trade.
fervid- extremely hot
Coffee can be fervid when heated up too long.
gargantuan- of great mass
The fetid man could not walk quietly.
heyday- the period of greatest prosperity or productivity
The heyday of my career at Sprinkles and Scoops was when I became a barista and ran Birthday parties.
incubus- someone who depresses or worries others
My dog sometimes is the incubus of our family because she is so old.
infrastructure- the basic structure or features of a system or organization
When planning a business you need to have an infrastructure or your business will fail.
inveigle- influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing or flattering
To get me up in the morning I must be inveigled out of bed.
kudos- an expression of approval and commendation
Kudos to me for having worked at such a disasterous place for more then a year.
lagniappe- a small gift
The women who works at the craft store gave me a lagniappe as a token of gratitude for visiting her all the time.  
prolix- tediously prolonged or tending to speak or write at great length
When I make speeches I know I make them prolix when I am talking about something I care for.
protégé- a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protégé’s career
I would feel so honored have a protégé.
prototype- a standard or typical example
I am a prototype for a great student in ASB.
sycophant- a person who tires to please someone in order to gain personal advantage
If you are a obsequies sycophant then you need to have your priorities set straight.
tautology- useless repetition
Rewriting vocabulary to memorize it is just tautology.
truckle- a try to gain favor by cringing or flattering
If you want someone to like you for who you are, truckling is not the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment